Monday, October 27, 2008

Spreadsheets and Surveys

Google Docs. program has so many amazing features. It can make things so much more organized and helpful. Particularly the spreadsheets and surveys we explored today were fun to discover all their functions.

I remember my teachers using in grade school using an actually grade book to record our scores. The grade book could easily become messy as the teacher had to erase and change scores. Plus, it was hard to look through all the scores to find all the scores that were missing. I plan on using Excel or Google spreadsheets to create my gradebook if the school does not already have a grade book program. By using Excel or Google spreadsheets, teachers are able to quickly add in formulas to figure out averages, percentages, etc. Also, teachers can quickly add in scores or change scores without the messy look on the paper. It looks nice and clean which can help teachers find scores that may be missing.

Besides Excel and Google spreadsheets, I love the Google surveys/forms feature. This would be a simple way to find out how parents feel you are doing or teachers can discover what the students already know and what they want to learn through taking a simple survey that can be quickly done in class or at home if they have a computer/internet at home. Plus, I really liked the idea of using the Google survey/forms feature to give quizzes to the students. It is easy to create and use. However, I may consider giving the quiz at the school computers rather than at home so that they do not cheat using a book or something. Although, I guess the students could cheat at the school computer, too, yet at least the teacher would be there to monitor.

Google spreadsheets and surveys/form are user friendly programs that I hope to incorporate in my future classes. I also plan on sharing these programs with others. This can be helpful in so many different careers such as doing business surveys to find out how customers like the store or creating a spreadsheet to keep track of how much is selling in different departments. I love these programs!

Here is my amazing survey that I created: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pO1OFsTbORWnYn3ntLdeVQA

No comments: